Thursday, February 17, 2011

Wishing you were "that guy"

Last night I had a dream that I haven't had in a very long time. It's the dream that you have when you are hanging with the person you really like, and they someone how end up with your best friend right in front of you ha ha. I haven't had this dream since in years, and I would like to believe that I am not a jealous person, but something really got me about this dream last night.

I remember being very angry in the dream, and I remember waking up in a sweat, full of emotion coming out of the dream. As I got up and started to process what had just happened. I started to laugh at the notion of being jealous of the other guy, or being mad that the girl didn't pick me; but as I started to think about it more, I realized it was neither.

The guy in my dream was not my best friend. He is a guy that I have in a few of my classes at school. We are friendly, say hi and what not, but that is about as far as it goes. What I started realize was that I was so upset because this person on paper is a lot like me. We are the same age, same height, relatively same build, and we have the same major. This person was me, but "better".

People always seem to have it more together when you're looking from the outside in. This is no exception. I see this person and think this guy has it together. Mature, friendly, driven; I don't know anyone who thinks poorly of this person. I started realize that the girl had fallen for the better me.

It really has nothing to do with the girl. It has everything to do with me. I like a lot of others I see what the better version. The smatter, faster, more impressive self. This is when it gets tricky; trying to believe that we are complete in God, without anyone else, and without our own misconceptions. 99% of the time I think it's a bunch of poop, but the 1% of the time when I feel that I am allowing myself to be open to God's word, I can be truly content with being complete in God's image.

During this month of chocolate's, bad romance movies, and expensive jewelry; take a moment to be content with yourself. Know that God made you perfect as is, without everything we think we need. I will be the first to try, and probably the last to succeed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment